The Bears have requested an interview with Reggie McKenzie, the Dolphins’ senior personnel manager, for their general manager job, according to Albert Breer of the MMQB. This is McKenzie’s first interview with GM since being fired by the Raiders in December 2018.
After several years as an NFL linebacker, McKenzie for the Packers front office from 1994 to 2012. After that, he was hired as the Raiders’ general manager, inheriting a team with an abysmal ceiling situation and depleted project capital. McKenzie wasn’t perfect, but he managed to turn this club into a playoff team. Then, ahead of the 2018 season, new head coach Jon Gruden lost much of his control, shaking up the roster by trading the superstar Khalil Mac to the Bears and get rid of other veterans.
McKenzie made some of his best moves in the 2014 draft and landed some of his biggest free agency deals, leading the Raiders to a 12-4 in 2016 with a playoff appearance to end their drought of long time. McKenzie earned Executive of the Year acclaim for his role in that 2016 turnaround. He spent the last two years in the Dolphins’ front office where the judging panel has yet to assess Chris Grier’s performance.
Here is the full recap of the Bears search, via PFR’s tracker:
- Kwesi Adofo-Mensah, Vice President of Football Operations (Browns): Interviewed on January 13
- Morocco Brown, Director of College Scouting (Colts): Maintenance requested
- Ran Carthon, director of player personnel (49ers): Maintenance requested
- Glenn Cook, Vice President of Player Personnel (Browns): Interviewed on January 12
- Ed Dodds, Vice President of Player Personnel (Colts): Maintenance requested
- Jeff Ireland, Assistant General Manager (Saints): Interviewed on January 14
- Champ Kelly, Assistant Director of Player Personnel (Bears): Interviewed on January 13
- Omar Khan, Vice President of Football and Business Administration (Steelers): Maintenance requested
- Reggie McKenzie, Senior People Manager (Dolphins): interview requested
- Monti Ossenfort, Director of Player Personnel (Titans): Interviewed on January 15
- Joe Schoen, Assistant General Manager (Giants): Maintenance requested
- Rick Smith, former general manager (Texans): Mentioned as a candidate
- Eliot Wolf, Senior Consultant (Patriots): Maintenance requested
- JoJo Wooden, Director of Player Personnel (Chargers): Maintenance requested