Mary’s Club security guard was on the job when he allegedly fired a gun in a shooting that left one dead, records show

Records show Jascha D. Manny had clocked in to work security at Mary’s Club in Portland’s Old Town entertainment district about an hour before he was involved in a shooting last month that left him injured, a man dead and another injured.

Manny, 32, who was treated for an abrasion that night, is not state certified to work as an armed guard, according to the Oregon Public Safety Agency.

He arrived at work at 8:33 p.m. on July 29 under a different name, “David Manning,” according to the strip club timestamp. recordings obtained by The Oregonian/OregonLive.

Police have not made any arrests in the case and have not named Manny as the shooter or released details of their investigation, other than identifying Lauren Abbott Jr., 19, of Portland, as the shot man and killed that night.

Manny’s name surfaced in a civil negligence and battery lawsuit brought by Kolby Ross, one of the men injured in the shooting. On Tuesday, Ross’ lawyers added Mary’s Club to the lawsuit as a defendant, alleging the club is also responsible for the shooting.

A Multnomah County grand jury was convened to hear testimony about the shooting. No charges were dismissed on Tuesday. Investigators were working to determine if Manny fired his gun in self-defense. The district attorney’s office declined to comment on the grand jury proceedings.

Manny’s attorney, criminal defense attorney John Gutbezahl, also declined on Tuesday to comment on Manny’s role in the shooting or his work at the club.

Mary’s Club scorecards show Manny also worked as a security at the club for part of the previous two weekends, and usually worked from about 8:30 p.m. to about 3:30 a.m.

But on the night of the shooting, another Mary’s Club employee manually clocked Manny in at 9:30 p.m. ‘for payroll purposes’ and wrote that was ‘the approximate time he left his post’ at the club, according to an exchange of emails between Ross’ lawyers and club representatives.

Police said they responded to a shooting in the area at 9:31 p.m. that night.

According to Ross’ attorneys, Ross saw Manny leave a stool outside the club, confront Abbott who was talking to a man sitting on the sidewalk along Northwest Fifth Avenue, exchange words with Abbott, and push him down. . When Abbott pulled out a gun, Manny took a few steps back and fatally shot Abbott, according to Ross’ attorneys.

Ross alleges Manny also shot him twice in the stomach, according to his attorneys, Michael Fuller and Emily Templeton. Ross was hospitalized, underwent surgery and has since been discharged from hospital.

Representatives for Mary’s Club did not respond to a message seeking comment. Previously, the club manager had said she was unsure if Manny was working that night.

Before the gunshots happened, Ross said he was walking with Abbott back to a tattoo studio on Northwest Fifth Avenue from the Chevron convenience store on West Burnside Street when Abbott said something to a man on the sidewalk.

Ross saw Manny get up from a black stool outside Mary’s Club and approach Abbott, grab Abbott by the shirt and say something like, “You like to play with the homeless, huh” , according an account Ross gave to his lawyers.

Manny punched Abbott in the face, knocking him to the ground, and the guard nearly fell with him, according to Ross and his attorneys. While Abbott was on the ground, Abbott said to Manny, “Sorry, I was just messing around, I didn’t mean to,” according to Ross’s account.

At that point, Ross tried to leave and walk towards his car but Manny blocked his way and said something like “do you want some too?” Ross told his lawyers.

Abbott got down on one knee and pulled out a gun, according to the account Ross gave his attorneys. When Manny saw Abbott’s gun, he took three quick steps back, pulled out his own gun and shot Abbott several times, according to Ross and his attorneys. Abbott was pronounced dead at Legacy Emanuel Medical Center.

Ross doesn’t know if Abbott fired his gun, his attorneys said.

Manny was treated for an abrasion that night at a local hospital, according to a source with knowledge of the investigation but not authorized to speak publicly.

State records show Manny’s certification as an armed private security guard was administratively terminated in December 2018 because his application was not complete, according to the state Department of Public Safety Standards and Training. Manny’s unarmed private security certification is active until January 6, 2024.

The state Department of Public Safety Standards and Training, which certifies private security guards, said Tuesday an investigation is underway into the shooting and Manny’s role.

–Maxine Bernstein

Email; 503-221-8212

Follow on Twitter @maxoregonian

About Jessica J. Bass

Check Also

Breed for the Job: Ellie Fredericks wins four-year-old NEXGEN final over 5* winner’s granddaughter | Eventing Nation

Ellie Fredericks and Upsi Britannia. Photo courtesy of NEXGEN/1st Class Images. Teenage superstar – and …