Pamplin Media Group – Trial Scheduled for Oregon Police Officer Charged with Drunken Misconduct

Judge Theodore Sims has granted a motion for a continuation of Teets’ trial to be delayed until after the trial of fellow officer and witness Bradley Schuetz.

A Washington County judge has tentatively set the trial of Forest Grove police officer Steven Teets for February 9.

Teets was originally scheduled to stand trial on December 15 for a pair of second-degree misdemeanors – criminal misconduct and disorderly conduct. In a hearing on Friday, November 26, Washington County Circuit Judge Theodore Sims granted an extension motion filed by Teets’ attorney to have his trial delayed until after the trial of his fellow officer. and witness Bradley Schuetz.

Teets’ accusations date back to the early morning of October 31, 2020, when, according to police records, he stormed a Forest Grove residence that displayed a Black Lives Matter flag, knocked on the door and put the residents challenged to come out and fight. According to a report from the Washington County Sheriff’s Office, Forest Grove officers who answered the 911 call told MPs they found Teets walking down the street and so “very drunk” that his words were. largely unintelligible and he did not acknowledge that any of the agents who responded were a longtime friend. Beaverton Police investigated the incident and charged Schuetz, who brought Teets home that morning, with first degree misconduct. Schuetz was indicted by a grand jury in May.

According to the prorogation motion, Schuetz’s attorney, Steven Meyers, told Ashton that Schuetz would invoke Fifth Amendment rights and refuse to testify at Teets’ trial before his own trial goes to trial. Meyers did not respond to calls and texts for comment. Schuetz’s trial is scheduled for January 19.

“Normally, it is in the interests of the criminal defense that the arresting officer is not available for trial. In this case, it is exactly the opposite. It is essential for my case. client, ”Teets’ attorney Derrick Ashton said in court on Friday.

Washington County Assistant District Attorney Matt Lehman has expressed concern that if Schuetz is convicted and then appealed, Teets’ defense could continue to try to delay the trial for years while waiting for the end of the trial. the other case, asking Sims to consider the possibility that Teets’ trial could take place without Schuetz as a witness.

“If the other trial ends in a conviction, Fifth Amendment rights would still apply on appeal until all cases are resolved. It could take a very long time,” Lehman said in court on Friday. “We fear that we will continue to do this over and over again.”

Outside the courtroom, Ashton and Lehman declined to answer questions about the details of the pending case.

Under state law, Teets is still on paid administrative leave from the Forest Grove Police Department, pending an internal city investigation separate from the criminal investigation.

Weeks before the Oct. 31 incident, Teets used a stun gun in a fatal encounter with Forest Grove resident James Marshall.

According to court records, Teets used the stun gun one to three times on Marshall as he was experiencing what family members describe as a mental health crisis and holding a flag pole in a doorway in the city. ‘church. The incident was investigated by the Washington County Attorney’s Office and Teets was not criminally convicted of Marshall’s death.

You depend on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Good local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

About Jessica J. Bass

Check Also

Anti-KED group challenges city councilor to put his money where his mouth is in front of a judge

Ward 5 Council. Robert Kirwan calls ridiculous Minnow Lake Restoration Group challenge to Kingsway entertainment …