TO REMARK N. 037/2022 (1 BI-M)
OPEN CALL FOR RESEARCH GRANT APPLICATION UNDER THE CONDITIONS PROVIDED BY THE ALGARVE UNIVERSITY RESEARCH SCHOLARSHIP REGULATIONS
TITLE: Opening of a call for research grants
A call is now open for a research grant for a researcher holding a Master’s degree in the INTERGEN project – “Innovating Breast Cancer GWAS through Integration of Functional Genomics”/Universidade do Algarve, (PTDC/MED-GEN/30895 /2017), financed by the Programa Operacional Regional do Algarve (CRESC Algarve 2020), through Fundo Europeu de Desenvolvimento Regional (FEDER), and by Funda o Nacional de Ci ncia e Tecnologia (FCT), with the following conditions:
Field of research : Biological Sciences
Admission Requirements: Applicants should hold a Master’s degree in biomedical sciences, oncobiology, biology or similar fields, have experience in genetic/genomic analysis of human diseases. Admission requirements take into account the University of Algarve Research Grants Regulations (https://files.dre.pt/2s/2021/10/210000000/0013700149.pdf ).
Candidates must be enrolled in a degree course of study or in a postgraduate course that does not confer a university degree, taught at the University of the Algarve, except in cases where there is no training offer at the UAlg in the field of competition.
The PTDC/MED-GEN/30895/2017 INTERGEN project – “Innovating Breast Cancer GWAS through Integration of Functional Genomics” aims to identify genes with differential allelic expression associated with breast cancer risk, to map cis-regulatory risk variants and to functionally characterize them by in silico and in vitro analyzes in human breast cell lines. The work to be carried out will concern:
- RNA extraction and cDNA preparation from human samples;
- real-time PCR to quantify allelic expression;
- Statistical analysis of variants associated with breast cancer risk and
- Functional characterization studies of variants (SNP) with regulatory potential. It is expected that by the end of the fellowship period, the fellow will have contributed to identifying novel regulatory variants associated with breast cancer risk and clarifying its underlying regulatory mechanism.
Applicable laws and regulations: Status of Scientific Researcher, approved by Law No. 40/2004, of August 18, conferred by Decree-Law 123/2019, of July 28e and the University of Algarve Research Grant Regulations
Workplace: The work will be developed at the Research Center for Technologies and Health Services of the University of Algarve, under the scientific supervision of Doctor Joana M Xavier.
Duration of the grant: The scholarship will have a first contract for a period of 6 months, starting July 15, 2022. The contract can be renewed until 03/27/2022, taking into account the regulations on research grants of the UAlg. (https://files.dre.pt/2s/2021/10/210000000/0013700149.pdf)
Amount of the monthly maintenance allowance: The monthly alimony corresponds to 1,144.64 euros. Child support will be paid monthly by bank transfer.
The selection criteria will be as follows: In accordance with No. 2 of Article 11 of the FCT Research Grants Regulations, the selection criteria will relate solely to the merit of the applicant and will be as follows:
(a) Academic and professional background, with the respective valuation of 7 values for scientific or technological publications in journals or databases, presentations of work at congresses and the completion of specialized courses (35% weighting);
(b) Experience in the development of research on the genetic risk of breast cancer, with respective valuation of 6 values for experience in statistical analysis and association studies such as association analysis polymorphisms with breast cancer risk, and with alternative splicing (including the use of software such as Psichomics, Leafcutter, FastQTL or TensorQTL), differential allelic expression analysis and genetic colocalization analysis for traits/ human phenotypes (including use of software such as the Coloc package) (30% weighting);
(c) Experience in molecular biology techniques with respective rating of 3 values for experience in handling human samples, extracting DNA or RNA from samples, performing PCR in real time (15% weighting);
(d) Experience in computational biology analyses, with the respective valuation of 3 values for the development of bioinformatics pipelines and for solid knowledge of programmatic languages (in particular R, but also Perl, Python or BASH) (15%);
(e) Degree of proficiency in the English language, with the respective assessment of 1 value (5% weighting).
The assessment process may include an interview, in case there are multiple applicants with similar scores, which will be used to rank applicants
The tender jury will be composed of the following members:
- Joana Gon alves de Gouveia Maia Xavier (President)
- Ana Teresa Lu s Lopes Maia (full member)
- Marinella Nobre Ghezzo (full member)
- Bibiana Isabel da Silva Ferreira (Substitute member)
Publication and notification of results: the final results will be published by means of an ordered list according to the final mark and displayed in a visible and public room of CINTESIS-UAlg, building 8, 3rd floor (Campus Gambelas), and communicated to the candidates by e-mail to the addresses indicated by each candidate.
Deadline for applications and submission forms: the call is open from 06/17/2022 to 06/30/20222
Applications must be accompanied by the following documents:
- Official ID (simple copy or legal equivalent). If you have a nationality other than Portuguese, you must present a residence permit, permanent residence certificate or long-term resident status, valid on the start date of the scholarship, each of which can be replaced, in its absence, by a declaration of commitment. However, one of the previous ones must be issued during the contracting phase, under penalty of forfeiture of the grant;
- Copy of the qualification certificates of the university degrees held, specifying the final classification and, if possible, the classifications obtained in all the subjects taken;
- If the doctorate was issued by a foreign higher education institution, it must comply with the rules established in Legislative Decree no. 66/2018 of August 16, and all required formalities must be completed by the termination deadline for submitting the application. If the completed process is not found before the end of the application period, the candidate must prove that he has applied for recognition of the diploma.
- Curriculum vitae;
- Passport or identity card for European applicants (copy);
- Tax identification number (NIF), if you have a nationality other than Portuguese, it must be submitted during the scholarship contract phase, under penalty of forfeiture of the scholarship;
- Other documents deemed important
- The application form, dated and signed, must be addressed to the president of the evaluation jury (https://www.ualg.pt/sites/default/files/documentos/2021-07/anexo-iii-requerimento-para-candidatura-bolsaen20210707.pdf) at the following address: Universidade do Algarve/Joana Xavier, Gambelas campus, Building 8, room 3.18, 8005-139 Faro, Reference EDITAL N 037/2022 (1 BI-M) or by email to the Scientific Coordinator (jxavier@ ualg.pt). If the application is sent by e-mail, the candidate must duly express his consent that all notifications concerning this application be sent to the e-mail address indicated.
- The supporting documents certifying that the candidate meets all the conditions required for this scholarship, namely the certificate of registration for a degree course or for postgraduate training;
- Declaration of the supervisor taking responsibility for the supervision of the work plan, in accordance with article 5 -A of the status of the scientific research officer, as well as ensuring the conditions necessary for the development of the work plan and in accordance with the article 13 of the status of the scientific research officer Research officer;
- Declaration of acceptance of the grant;
- Declaration of commitment specifying the exclusivity regime
Complaints and appeals Deadlines and procedures
On the decision to grant the research grant, the candidates may, if they wish, make observations on the hearing of the interested parties, within 10 working days, under the conditions provided for by the code of administrative procedure. .
Of the practice or omission of any act of the evaluation jury, candidates may lodge a complaint with the authority, within 10 working days.
The final decision of the evaluation committee can be appealed to the rector within 15 working days of the respective notification.
Scholarship contract: With the selected candidate(s) and after receiving all the required documentation, a scholarship contract will be signed according to the attached model. Evaluation of the scholarship holder(s) At the end of each period of the duration of the scholarship contract, the activity developed by the scholarship holder(s) is evaluated by the supervisor, by applying the following criteria, in accordance with the model below. -attached: a) Achievement of the proposed objectives taking into account the work plan (80%) b) Interest and motivation for the development of the project (20%)
The University of Algarve reserves the right to cancel this application procedure if, by any means, the celebration of the contract with the funding entity is not established.
University of Algarve, June 14, 2022 Scientific Coordinator
Doctor Joana Gon alves de Gouveia Maia Xavier