NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Vanessa Bryant’s $16 million jury award for sharing grisly photos from the crash site of her late NBA star husband Kobe Bryant will be cut by $1 million, according to a report.
The former Lakers legend and his 13-year-old daughter, Gianna, perished in a helicopter crash on Jan. 26, 2020, in Calabasas, Calif. – along with seven other people on board.
Vanessa Bryant and Chris Chester, who lost his wife Sarah and their daughter, Payton, 13, in the crash, sued Los Angeles County for breach of privacy after learning first responders shared gruesome footage of the remains of their loved one with nearly 30 people.
The nine-person jury awarded Bryant $16 million and Chester $15 million – but the unequal division was a mistake, USA Today reported.
“It was the intention of the nine jurors that the two plaintiffs Vanessa Bryant and Christopher Chester be awarded equally,” U.S. District Judge John F. Walter noted Friday in federal court in Los Angeles, according to the newspaper.
Vanessa Bryant’s attorney, Luis Li, said his client felt it was a “fair outcome” for both plaintiffs to receive the same amount.
VANESSA BRYANT CRIES OVER WITNESS IN LEAKED PHOTOS OF KOBE BRYANT’S REMAINS
After the verdict was read in court, a juror told the courtroom deputy that there was an error in Bryant’s verdict form that mistakenly awarded him an additional $1 million.
The jury note informing the court of the blunder and the transcript of Friday’s hearing are sealed.
Vanessa Bryant, who has three surviving daughters with her late husband, previously announced that she would donate the entire prize money to the Mamba and Mambacita foundation. The charity was founded by Kobe Bryant and renamed after his death to honor the legacy of the hoop star and his daughter, Gianna.
“From the beginning, Vanessa Bryant has sought only accountability,” her attorney Li previously said in a statement. He called the lawsuit “an important civil rights case” that shed light on “the decades-old practice of taking and sharing photos of accident and crime victims for no legitimate purpose.”
He said it is his client’s hope that this lawsuit “will put an end to this heinous and callous behavior”.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
The photos were never made public. “I live in fear every day of seeing these images appear on social media,” Vanessa Bryant testified at trial.